This is the first version designed for and tested under Windows Vista (but it also works under XP). It has been produced by a different compiler (the latest available) and thus has inherited some enhancements of modern tools built-in (increased capacity or limits of some functions related to maximum image size).
Note: The Protection key must be reprogrammed (Pro).
A new Arabidopsis version is now available; it is optimised for individual seedling analysis
The Arabidopsis version has all the features of the Pro version, the new features listed below and in addition it can do objects area, width and height measurements, root topology and developmental analyses separately on more than one root system per analysed region. There is no more needs to make an analysed region per object. Objects are drawn a different color in the analysed image and have their own data lines in measurements data files.
The hypocotyle and leaf length and area (precise at 15%) can be measured separately from roots for young seedlings. The identification of the root-root junctions is an interactive process (you click them). It will also calculate shoot (Hypocotyle+Leaf) to root length and area ratios.
Note 1: Root diameter distribution is not available per object.
Note 2: It will work for non-touching and non-overlapping objects. It can do basic area analysis (for more complex shape analysis see WinCAM, WinSEEDLE or WinFOLIA).
New Features & Modifications to the Analysis
Link Analysis (Pro)
- Link analysis now displays root segments (links) with all their belonging skeleton pixels instead of a straight line from beginning to ending. This allows to better keeping track of curved segments. Link activation (by clicking them) is also more precise and easier. (Pro)
- You can choose which of link or axis is selected by mouse clicks (when a developmental analysis has been done). When you click them in the image their corresponding data (link vs. axis) are also displayed in the Command area.
- WinRHIZO displays a warning when a loop in links has been encountered during a developmental analysis (such as when a branch ends on a link instead of a tip).
- Optional link data saving is off by default.
- A missing tip can be added (such as when a branch ends on a link because its tip is under or too close to it).
- The tolerance to classification of double forks classified as crossing is now adjustable (to reduce or remove false crossings detection).
- The filtering of EE and EI links smaller than a specified length will now remove associated forks (and merge links) and update the number of tips and their distribution (number) per diameter class.
- The filtering of isolated links will now update the number of tips and their distribution (number) per diameter class.
- Link order swapping and set manually will now update (reclassify) descending links order.
- You can double click a link to set its order manually.
- Pre-defined analysed regions. They allow to create with a single command, a specified number of equidistant regions at different vertical positions (soil depth) in an image. The size and distance between these analysed regions are specified by the operator. (Reg & Pro)
When loading tiff images previously analysed and saved from WinRHIZO,
- The analysis is now loaded by default (in earlier versions it was discarded and you had to turn on their loading).
- You can load or discard display settings (to use some different from when the image was analysed).
- 10 to 16 bits per pixel grey levels images are saved in 10 to 16 bits (not 8 as before). (Pro)
Enhanced scanner calibration files. Allow WinRHIZO to support new scanners (with their positioning system with regard to our simple scanning interface) without modifications to it (no need to release a new version to support a new scanner).
Modifications to the interface
The mouse wheel can also be used to scroll the image horizontally (it was working before only in the vertical direction). Press ctrl and roll the mouse wheel to scroll horizontally. Press shift to scroll faster in both directions.
Modifications to the Command Area
- Its width can be changed interactively.
- You can right click the mouse in the Command area to set the information displayed there.
- The number of objects present in the analysed region is written in the command area when; 1) the filtering based on area or length/width ratio is active in Analysis/Filters or an individual analysis is done. In such situations, you can also click an object in the image to get its area written. (Reg & Pro)
- Fractal analysis data are written with three significant digits instead of two. (Pro)
The histogram display status (set with the Show Hide graphic button) is saved and restored at start up.
The Channel selection commands have been moved from the Image to the Display menu. (Pro)
The Analysis/Measurements command has been redesigned to accommodate new measurements. The Morphology item has been renamed Root morphology.
The Display/Image Area, Display/Command Area and Analysis/Filters commands have been redesigned.
Some menu items have been renamed and grouped into hierarchical menus:
- Regions/Freeze Set of Analysed Regions renamed Regions/Set of Analysed Regions/Freeze
- Regions/Recreate Set of Analysed Regions renamed Regions/Set of Analysed Regions/Recreate
- Regions/Export Set of Analysed Regions renamed Regions/Set of Analysed Regions/Export
- Regions/Import Set of Analysed Regions renamed Regions/Set of AnalysedRegions/Import
- Regions/Define an Exclusion Region renamed Regions/Exclusion/Define
- Regions/Delete Exclusion Region renamed Regions/Exclusion/Delete Active
- Regions/Delete All Exclusion Region renamed Regions/Exclusion/Delete All
- Regions/Import Exclusion Regions renamed Regions/Exclusion/Import
- Regions/Export Exclusion Regions renamed Regions/Exclusion/Export
Will zoom closer to the mouse cursor location if it is in image area when pressing the “-” or “+” keys.
Optional data savings (link and color data) are all inactive by default.
There are now two sizes for the symbol drawn to identify tips, forks and crossings and it is now easier to see them when link analysis is display